08 February 2012
The Duke of Cornwall’s Palace at Lostwithiel, Cornwall was built as the administrative centre for the Duchy the end of the 13th century; at the time Lostwithiel was Cornwall’s principal port. It was not a dual residency but boasted a large Great Hall and a number of other buildings including the Exchequer Hall where the taxes due on smelted tin were collected. The Palace became ruinous in the 17th century but one of the original halls still remains intact. From 1878 until 2008 this space was used as a Freemasons Temples with a great sense of mystery surrounding it.
The building is of prime importance to the history of Cornwall and for this reason, as well as its age and architecture, it is listed Grade 1.
The Prince’s Regeneration Trust bought the site in 2009 to restore it and bring it back to the community. A mixed-use development is under-way and public access is key- as it has been hidden for so many years and now it will become an active part of the community once again. Construction work is due to start in early 2012. We are continuing to fundraise in order to ensure the development can be completed and this magnificent ancient building can find a contemporary new use that will benefit the community.
Post by Penny East, Communications Executive, The Prince’s Regeneration Trust.
Enter your email address below to join our mailing list: