Walk the World was a great success! Thanks to everyone who got involved.
- Our website had over 23,000 visitors.
- We received 400 links from people showing how buildings, statues and streets in their local area are connected to countries around the world.
- We succeeded in our challenge of finding evidence of the UK’s links to all 206 Olympic and Paralympic participating nations.
- We created 20 special walks around the UK to tell the stories behind our connections to other countries through trade, the Empire and immigration.
We will continue to celebrate the UK’s international connections. The Walk the World website will remain active beyond the Games and into 2013 because:
- It is an excellent tool for getting young people to explore their local area and can be linked to the geography and history curriculums (see the schools section for ideas).
- Winners of the Young Geographer of the Year Competition, which involved looking for international links and designing a walk, will be announced at the end of November.
- The walks will be featured on the Discovering Britain website (www.discoveringbritain.org) as an international strand of walks.