06 September 2012
Visit Tewkesbury to travel back in time to a bygone era amongst the black and white Tudor buildings which line the high street. It’s as if time has stood still inside this picture perfect medieval market town, which is mostly untouched by large scale modern development.
Once you have arrived in town, you’ll find every Heritage Open Day venue is no more than a 5 minute walk away – meaning you are never far away from discovering Tewkesbury’s rich history or stumbling upon one of our hidden gems.
We challenge you to taste Tewkesbury’s famous traditional mustard and take a battlefield tour to trace the steps of our warring ancestors in Bloody Meadow echoing with the sound and smell of cannon and gunshot during the decisive battle of the War of The Roses. Wonder at the exposed beams in the hidden medieval hall of The Royal Hope Pole, an ancient coaching inn, and examine close up the intricately embroidered priest vestments on display inside the magnificent Tewkesbury Abbey.
These are just a few of the events and activities we have planned for you at Tewkesbury, when we magically bring history back to life. Other highlights include:
– Free craft activities for children at Tewkesbury Town Museum;
– Guided tour of the country’s oldest Baptist Chapel;
– Photographic exhibition spanning 100 years of the high street;
– Discover hidden Tewkesbury with a 2 hour guided tour;
– Get ‘hands on’ with a selection Tudor replica items to try on at The John Moore Museum;
– Two day traditional Craft Fair at Out of the Hat, Tewkesbury’s Heritage & Information Centre;
– A guided literary walk & Traveller exhibition
Full listings and programme of events can be found at http://www.VisitTewkesbury.info or ring Tewkesbury Tourism Information Centre on 01684 855040.
Written by our guest blogger Shelby from the Visit Tewkesbury team
Enter your email address below to join our mailing list: